The pineapple on pizza debate

A few weeks ago, I was having breakfast with a friend when I noticed how she was carefully plucking the pineapples from her Hawaiian pizza and relegating them to the side of her plate. I didn't pay much attention to it then. Some people like pineapples, some people don't, I thought. And when she offered them to me, I gladly accepted, spearing the pineapple bits with my fork one by one until I cleaned them off her plate. I remember asking her why she didn't eat them and she simply said she didn't like them, and that was it.

I had forgotten all about it until this morning when I came across an article on the Daily Mail reporting on how Twitter users were embroiled in a debate over whether pineapples were good as a topping for pizza or not. Apparently, the debate started after Iceland's president, Gudni Thorlacius Johannesson, during a visit to a local high school, expressed his disapproval of pineapples on pizza. He even remarked that if he could make laws he would ban pineapples as a pizza topping. The president later clarified, after realizing that he had sparked a social-media debate, that he actually likes pineapples but just not on pizza.

It's amazing how such an innocent remark can trigger a full-blown debate on social media. As for me, well, I actually like Hawaiian pizza. In fact, I think I'm going to have a couple of slices right now.

Labels:

« Older PostBack to TopNewer Post »